A good quality equipment is a must when doing hard labor such as construction. For metal works, having a reliable welder is essential. Thus, we came up with a list of best 110v MIG welders for you to choose from.
Our Top 5 Picks
Last update on 2019-05-25 at 16:27 PST - Details
Editor’s Pick: Goplus MIG
For our Editor’s pick, the GoPlus MIG takes the stage! The GoPlus MIG is the perfect welding machine for car bodywork, thin steel welding processes, and others. Made of durable stainless steel, this product is equipped with several convenient features! No wonder the GoPlus MIG became one of the best-selling products at Amazon.
- It is equipped with a Flux-cored wire that makes use of self-release metal-inert gas.
- This self-release metal-inert gas feature prevents oxidation during welding.
- It has four levels of adjustable welding speed. These levels are MIN/MAX/1/2.
- These levels are easily adjusted through push-buttons. This product boasts an adjuster knob with 10 levels to choose from.
- It features a number of safety controls.
- Examples of these safety controls include two air-vents and a thermal safety control which is automatic.
We do not like
- It needs regular maintenance checks to prevent unwanted damages.
- It cannot be used for more technical welding needs.
Alternative/Runner-up: Forney Easy Weld 299
If the Editor’s Pick is not your type, then why not use our Runner-up choice? Introducing the Forney Easy Weld 299! This product is perfect for first-time users and professional welders. Use it to create magnificent metalworking projects in the comfort of your backyard! But, take note that while this product is referred to as a wire feed welding machine, it does use gas.
- It can weld through a quarter of an inch metal and run through 100 lbs. spool.
- With this kind of capability, this product is certainly one versatile machine!
- It has a 120-volt input and 125-amp output. It accepts #2 and #10 spools.
- It can handle both 0.30 and 0.35-inch wires. But, for the best performance, using 0.35-inch wires is highly recommended.
- It is made of durable steel for long-lasting performance.
- However, it includes a 90-day warranty in the case of maintenance and repairs.
We do not like
- It needs regular maintenance checks to prevent unwanted damages from overuse.
- It is designed primarily for small odd jobs and simple metalworking projects. It might not be suited for far complex uses.
Budget Pick: Black Commercial MIG 130
You may be thinking that the only way to get a high-quality machines for welding is to pay a fortune. Well, our budget pick will prove you wrong! The Black Commercial MIG 130 Welder is a high performing welder on a lower price tag. Not only is this product super durable, it is also easy to use. It has a number of convenient features, to boot!
- It uses a wire (flux-cored) that releases metal-inert gas as you weld.
- This metal-inert gas prevents the welded metals from oxidizing.
- It features an interface which is user-friendly that even novice welders can operate.
- It has a tutorial video on how to install the welding wire properly.
- It includes an adjustable speed control for your convenience. These speed controls are as follows: MIN/MAX/1/2.
- In addition, this product has a wire speeding rotary knob which is adjustable. Furthermore, there are 10 levels of wire speeding to choose from.
We do not like
- During use, the welding wire becomes extremely hot. Caution is advised.
- It can be used for simple welding jobs, but not for complex and professional welding needs.
Upgrade Pick: Hobart 500559 140
At some point, you may have thought: “Are these everything they have?” Luckily for you, our upgrade pick offers something quite new on the market. Introducing the Hobart 500559 140 MIG Welder!
As the Hobart company’s most popular product, this welding machine is extremely versatile and durable. It also doesn’t require a high skill level to operate, so novice welders can easily use this machine.
- It is made from a durable industrial aluminum cast drive system.
- It is perfect for auto body, household repairs, and even farm projects with welding needs.
- It has a weld set-up guide to assist you during the assembly.
- In just a few minutes, you will be ready to use the Hobart 500559 140 MIG Welder.
- It includes a great industrial package containing the basic welding materials.
- These materials are a 10-ft power cord, 0.030 contact tips, a 0.030 wire spool which is flux-cored, to name a few.
We do not like
- Like the other above-mentioned products, this product needs regular maintenance checks.
- It is better suited for small welding jobs than complicated ones.
Niche Pick: Lotos MIG
Tired of the same old welding machine models? Are you looking for something new? Well, I hope you like red as we introduce the Lotos MIG140 Welder! This product is a reliable and durable welder in one bright package.
It has several features that you will surely love using! You can use the Lotos MIG140 Welder for several metalworking projects, from metal tables to DIY fire pits.
- It can weld through metal materials like stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and others.
- To specify, this product can weld through stainless steel and mild steel of 3/16 inches. Meanwhile, it can weld through aluminum sheets of ⅛ inch and less.
- It includes a high-quality aluminum wire feeder.
- This feature brings a stable and better experience to its users.
- It utilizes transformer technology for optimum convenience.
- With the transformer technology, this product can be easily assembled within 10 minutes.
We do not like
- To prevent unwanted damages from overuse, you will need to performer regular maintenance checks on the product.
- It is better suited for small welding jobs like DIY projects.
Picking the Best 110v MIG Welder
A welding work is commonly seen in construction sites and some machine shops for cars and vehicles. However, it is also a useful tool for homes and works out of self-interest. If you’re new to welding, then it’s better to know the basics first.
One of the common types of welding equipment is the MIG welder. There are actually a lot of welder types, such as stick and TIG. The difference, however, is that the MIG welder is filled with a mixture Metal Inert Gas.
This type of gas mixture is used to prevent any reaction with the metal while it is being welded. Moreover, you are also able to avoid any contaminants that might cause problems later on. Such problems include corrosion, or joints coming off.
Now, a 110v MIG welder is specifically made for those who have 110v outlets available. This is one of the most common used MIG welder. In helping you decide what type of a welder you should get, we prepared a buying guide for you.
Getting to Know the MIG Welder
The MIG welder is a type of arc welder, which uses high voltage electricity to produce enough heat for welding. Now, the MIG welder is a wire-feed type that needs a spool of metal. This spool of metal helps it to create a weld material.
This MIG welder has can work for both thin and thick metals. Specifically, this welder is good for gas metal arc welding (GMAW) and flux-cored arc welding (FCAW).
A GMAW is a process of welding that helps prevent contamination of the weld from the atmosphere. Meanwhile, the FCAW is almost the same process as the GMAW. What differs is that a special wire to shield the welding arc is needed for FCAW.
Power and Voltage
Now, in terms of power, the 110v MIG welder is more preferred. This is because most homes have 110-volt outlets, so there’s no need for additional set-up. It is convenient because you are able to save a lot of time.
More than this, the 110-volt welder is good for metals that are no thicker than 1/8 or 0.125 inches. It’s not always the case that your metal will be thick for welding. The 110v MIG welder is powerful enough to handle delicate material work.
Thus, this amount of power and voltage really works well for home use. It is also desirable for those people who do crafts work as a hobby. The 110v MIG welder is the solution to your problem.
Welding Duty Cycle
To be able to know more about a 110v MIG welder’s power, it’s important to know its welding duty cycle. This welding duty cycle indicates the usability of the welder for a certain period of time.
The reason behind this is to ensure that the welder will not overheat. This equipment uses heat and electricity to function, of course. But too much heat can certainly cause problems for you or your home.
Thus, when you’re shopping for a 110v MIG welder, you need to check its welding duty cycle rating. A ten-minute time period is used to test how much heat the welder can take. For some, a five-minute test it used to be completely sure.
There are a lot of advantages that come with using the MIG welder. Aside from its ability and power, it is an all-around reliable equipment for work. In fact, if you’re a beginner, this is a good type of welder to start with.
The MIG welder is good for beginners because it is easy to learn. This welder also guides you in improving your speed to get your welding gone. Moreover, you feel comfortable welding even if you’re standing, sitting, or squatting.
Finally, since this welder is made for thinner metals, then you have better control over them. You don’t need to worry about forcing too much heat and power into the metal. Plus, it has clean welds, so there’s no need to clean in between welding sessions.
MIG Spool Gun Capability
Another essential part of the MIG welder is its spool gun. This spool gun, more commonly known as MIG gun, expands the purpose of your MIG welder. Not all of them have a spool gun, so you better check closely.
The spool gun helps feed the wire to the weld in order to create the weld material. This will then provide the electrical current needed for welding. Other than that, this spool gun transports the gas into the weld.
If you are planning to weld aluminum, stainless steel, and other types of metal, then you need this spool gun. This helps you weld continuously because the power supply is consistent. That way, your work is not interrupted, and the material is free of impurities.
Other Things to Consider
Aside from the things discussed, you should also consider the price of the welder. The 110v MIG welder varies in price, depending on their feature. Make sure that the one you’re buying is well within your budget and gives a lot of benefits.
Remember to also check the wire size and type of the MIG welder. There are MIG welder wires with metal cores used for gas shielded welding or flux-cored use. You should match your choice to your specific need.
Achieve efficient welding now!
The number of things to consider when choosing a 110v MIG welder may be overwhelming. There’s just so much to learn, not just in familiarizing with the equipment, but also in welding itself. But knowing the technical bits will surely help you a lot.
Remember to keep these guides in mind in selecting the best 110v MIG welder for your welding needs. They may be hard to grasp at first, but they should help you in wisely choosing your perfect welder.
If you are looking for the best welder at the most affordable price, chose our Editor’s Pick! The GoPlus MIG 130 Welder is durable, powerful, and definitely reliable. It is also extremely versatile, as you can use this product for various metalworking projects.
However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t explore our other picks. Try these products on for size and choose the best one for you! After all, these products are the best 110-volt MIG welders on the online market.