Should You Buy New or Used Woodwork Machinery?
There are both cheap and very expensive wood working tools in the market. What you want to buy really depends on what are you trying to achieve, what is your project size. Personally my experience with reconditioned tools has been very positive.
If you have big project requiring Heavy duty worm drive table saw or DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Compact Job-Site Table Saw with 20-Inch Max Rip Capacity, Corded 120V AC or JET 708675PK XACTASAW Deluxe 3-Horsepower, 1Ph, 50-Inch Rip Fence, JET 708447 OES-80CS 6-Inch 1-1/2-Horsepower Oscillating Edge Sander, 115/230-Volt 1-Phase AND MANY MANY MORE...
As you can clearly see, some of these machinery cost more than $2000. So it makes such a perfect sense to buy refurbished heavy duty woodwork machinery when needed rather than buying brand new making dent in your wallet and use the machine just once or twice.
Refurbished machine can still be very strong and perfectly usable for long term, then why to spend money on new ones? Quickest resources to buy such refurbished or used machinery would be Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace. I have seen used sold by owners on Amazon and Walmart also.
There are many reasons that mean it may be worth you considering the purchase of refurbished woodworking machinery as opposed to buying brand new. The most obvious reason for making this particular decision is that it is usually significantly cheaper to buy used equipment, rather than a brand new machine. This can be especially helpful if you are looking at purchasing machinery for an entire workshop and could save you a fortune while still allowing you to purchase top quality equipment.
Not only is refurbished machinery more cost-effective, some older machines are renowned for their robustness and durability, as cost was less of a problem when they were manufactured. On top of that, there is no denying the fact that, it is hard to find brand new woodworking machinery at reasonable rate. That said, there are still many things that you should be aware of when shopping for refurbished woodworking machinery.
Questions to ask before buying reconditioned power tools:
What was this Tool’s Reconditioning Process Like?
Remember, if reconditioning is done from reputable experienced company, it’s
"My only experience! About 100 years ago I bought a DeWalt orbital hand sander at a woodworking show in New Orleans that had been reconditioned. It was garenteed as new and I saved some bucks.
About a year and a half ago, a round thingy started coming out the side of it and I can’t put it back, but it still works fine.
This question is
Most of the times, reconditioned power tools are purchased, possibly opened, used once or never and then returned.
Is there a Warranty?
When you aren’t shopping brand new, it can sometimes be tricky to find something that meets your exact requirements. It is worth spending time researching the refurbished machinery that is available to determine whether or not there are any alternative machines that could still meet your specifications. Between resources available from manufacturers and dealers, there is plenty of information out there to help you make an informed decision.
Last update on 2020-08-10 at 12:52 PST - Details
Reputable dealers will always be more than happy to help you out when it comes to the specification of older equipment. It is also important that, if you employ people, you confirm the machine you are purchasing is compliant with any relevant current safety regulations.
Refurbished machines that meet your specifications can play a crucial role in taking your business to a next level.
If the machinery has been refurbished well by a reputable dealer, it is likely that the equipment will be, in essence, like new. Any correctly refurbished machine from a truly reputable dealer will have been fully inspected by trained experts to make sure that everything is in tip-top condition and that the machine will be usable and safe. Any worn parts will have been replaced to provide you with a machine offering use for many years to come. However, it is always worth physically inspecting the machinery if possible, so that you can see exactly what you are purchasing.
If you make the purchase through a reputable dealer, you can rest assured that the equipment will have been checked over, thoroughly inspected and will be a top quality piece of heavy machinery. It is worth always going to a reputable dealer just to ensure that you are purchasing a quality piece of equipment that will meet your requirements while being safe to use.
However, the biggest challenge that people face while buying refurbished machinery is to find a reputable dealer. How do you know that the dealer you have picked for buying refurbished machinery is worth relying upon? Whenever you have such questions, make it sure that you go to the website of the dealer effectively. Read all the important pages on the website before you come to any conclusion.
If it is possible for you to carry out the physical inspection of the second-hand machine that you are willing to buy, then you must do it before making a buying decision. Nothing gives a more accurate information about a refurbished equipment than a physical inspection. Rather than looking at the pictures taken from different directions, it’s better to examine the machine physically to figure out whether it’s working properly or not. If you find any problem with the functioning of the machine, you can report it to the dealer immediately. And once the problem with the machine comes to the notice of the dealer, they will try to fix it, or else they will offer you another machine with the same specifications. In this way, you can easily prevent yourself from buying an improper machine.
When looking at refurbished machinery, it is worth asking if there is paperwork to go alongside the equipment. Paperwork such as owner’s manuals can give important information on health and safety, as well as details on setting the equipment up and changing tools. A well-documented, good service history can also go a long way to putting your mind at ease when you look at second-hand equipment.
When buying any refurbished machinery, you can benefit from the ease of use that comes with time. During the time that the equipment has been for sale, there will have been training resources such as videos created to help users operate the machinery.
Before making a purchase, it is worth researching the resources and information that are available for the equipment. If the manufacturer is no longer in business, it may be harder to get replacement parts if needed or to get the machine serviced. The other thing to bear in mind is that if the equipment did not initially sell very well, there will be fewer training resources available.
No matter how good is the condition of the refurbished machine that you are planning to buy from a reputable dealer, it’s always better to ask them to offer a guarantee for it. Some dealers will easily give a guarantee for the equipment they are selling to you, but everyone does not follow that rule. So, if your dealer is not giving any guarantee for the machine they are offering to you, it’s better to ask for it. If the equipment is actually in a good condition, the dealer should not hesitate to provide a guarantee.
Essential Woodworking tools & accessories - Updated lists of compared products
- Includes 3-piece chisel set
- Quick change chisel retainer
- Longer life alloyed steel barrel and heat-treated piston
- Lightest magnesium construction reduces user fatigue for less down time
- Cut-Ready depth of cut system helps with quick, accurate depth measurements
- 53° bevel allows users to complete a wider variety of cuts
- Duotech oscillation technology lets you select the optimum oscillation angle for power and precision
- Variable speed dial for precision control – from 10,000 to 19,000 oscillations per minute
- Powerful 4.2 Amp motor delivers constant speed and won’t stall under heavy loads
- WOODWORKER EDITION: Our flagship work apron updated for the woodworking enthusiast or pro. Built with padded straps, saw dust flaps over pockets, dual hammers loops, a quick release buckle fastener,...
- BUILT-TO-LAST: Build quality that imitators can't match! Handcrafted from water resistant & rugged 16 oz waxed canvas. Reinforced with heavy-weight brass grommets and rivets. Double stitched tool...
- ALL DAY COMFORT + CUSTOMIZED FIT: Prevent neck pain with padded (removable) cross back straps. Full coverage bib apron is 27 inches wide x 34 inches tall for unisex sizing (recommended for 5' 2" or...
- Quality USD 60 set that would normally cost around USD 200 to collect. Includes a collet nut, 3 collets, and a multi-chuck, a flex-shaft and an extendable stand, a precision handle, a cutting set,...
- Die-hard 170W / 1.4A motor that reaches speeds from 8,000 to 35,000 rpm, making the machine suitable for work on a large variety of materials from wood, plastic, drywall and tile, to glass, stone, and...
- Comes equipped for use straight out of the box in carving, engraving, cutting, sanding, polishing, sharpening, cleaning, woodworking, grinding, grout removal and other projects. 2 replacement carbide...
- ✅Compatibility: Not compatible with blade quick release or quick change tools, not compatible with Black Decker BD Matrix, Rockwell Sonic rafter, Dewalt DCS355, Dremel MM40, 45, WORX 20V Max, Worx...
- ✅24-Piece Oscillating accessory kit: This high quality kit contains wood/ metal end cut blades, sanding pad, Carbide blade, grout removal Rasp and scraper.
- ✅Various applications: The accessory set can be used while doing home repairing, such as sawing or cutting metal/wood/plastic, sanding hardwood, removing paint, rasping and grinding cement and so...
- Matrix Quick Connect system allows quick and easy change of a variety of attachments
- Powerful 20V MAX motor for the performance needed to complete DIY activities
- The lithium-ion battery is always ready and holds a charge of up to 18 months; Router Attachment: ideal for trimming, decorative woodwork and more
- Package include - Comes with 180 pieces sanding bands and 12 pieces sanding drum mandrels. Totally 192 pieces drum sanders set with a free plastic box, convenient for store and fetch
- Essential 3 grits accessory - these rotary sanding bands contain 3 sanding grits (80 grit, 120 grit, 240 grit) and 3 diameters (1/2", 3/8" & 1/4"). There are 20 pcs for each grit and size
- Univeral drum mandrels - 12 Pcs reusable drum mandrels which in 3 diameters(1/2", 3/8" & 1/4"), each size 4 pieces. Common and standard size fit for all rotary tools like Dremel etc
- THE FULLEST WOODWORK TOOL SET: Complete your hardwood tool collection with the Valiant tongue and groove router bit set. It comes with a tongue router bit, a groove router bit ½ '' shank and a...
- SO MANY USES TO UNLOCK: Use these tongue and router bit tools to enhance your hardwood working performances and create beautifully handmade furniture on your own. Great for kitchen and bathroom...
- DURABLE STEEL BODY – RELIABLE CRAFTSMANSHIP: Boasting high quality materials, balanced craftsmanship and a solid hardened steel board these woodworking tools can withstand some heavy duty use...
- ▲282PCS ROTARY TOOL KIT ASSORTMENT - Includes rich rotary tool accessories of cutting, grinding, sanding, sharpening, polishing, engraving, drilling and cleaning, meet your various application...
- ▲SOLID STORAGE BOX - PS plastic box is more sturdy, falling resistant and moistureproof, easy for carrying and hanging; All parts were in order and set was complete, well organized to prevent...
- ▲ADDED ACCESSORIES - Equipped with TACKLIFE special chuck collet(1/16”, 3/32” and 1/8”)1.6mm, 2.3mm and 3.2mm and cloth wheel that dedicated to polishing of jewelry, glass, jade; Flap wheel...
- 930 feet-pounds of maximum reverse torque
- Nut-busting torque of 1350 feet-pounds
- Finely tuned twin-hammer impact mechanism
Last update on 2020-04-09 at 01:22 PST - Details