Learn How to Stay Safe when Working With any Dump Truck
Dump trucks are commonly used in construction sites. Citing the size of a dump truck, it is understood that operating a dump truck is no easy job. If not managed the right way, a dump truck can lead to severe accidents. These accidents can be fatal or leave the person handicapped for life.
Operating a real dump truck is far from running a toy truck. The truck can tip over all of a sudden or can lose its balance while unloading. This is probably how a majority of accidents happen, some of which are deadly.
It will be an exaggeration if we say that all accidents can be avoided. We are not claiming that all of them can be avoided, but we can definitely suggest some tips that will help you stay safe the next time you go out to operate a massive dump truck -
Don’t overload it
Overloading a dump truck can lead to accidents. It may be quite tempting to pile the dump truck with whatever you're transporting into the truck bed; it is essential to make sure that the truck is not loaded beyond the limit.
Overloading the dump truck makes the distribution of weight uneven thus, making it hazardous for the driver. The truck will work safely only when it is allowed to. Overloading the truck or pushing it beyond the limits, in any case, can result in unexpected events.
Wear the right clothes
Even if in some cases the truck meets with an accident or breaks down, the driver can be safe if they are wearing the right clothes and safety equipment.
Once you are done making sure that all the parts of the truck are in place and working correctly, you should proceed to check if you are wearing the right clothes or not. The clothing should be protective and preferably include a reflective vest. Wear a hard hat and cover your feet adequately with sturdy footwear.
Best Tuck Auto Accessories Reviewed
- RGB & MUSIC SENSOR: Enjoy using this car led light with 8 colors, music mode,scenes mode, wireless control. Pls note the work voltage is 12-volt
- Powerful LED chip: Super bright LED light is environment friendly and saving energy, more brighter and stable, 50,000 hours life span, easily DIY lighting effects to add a unique style to your car
- Solid aluminum construction: Each led lights consists of aviation aluminum, fast heat dissipation, durable and good heat resistance
- GOODS PROTECTION: mesh tarp keeps the goods in the dump truck, no spattering, and mesh fabric with great airflow for improved tarp life against wind flap. ★★★NOTE: ALL REAL TENTPROINC PRODUCTS...
- 6'' POCKET OPENING with vinyl fabric inside: for the crossbar to go through in order to move your mesh tarp forward and backward.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: 11oz/sqyd heavy duty vinyl coated woven mesh, base fabric 1000DX1000D yarns (compare to normal 800D), 11X11 each inch, UV and Flame resistant; no rust 2# copper grommets placed on...
- SIMPLY THE BEST - LeClassiqueShop, presents the highly anticipated, unique and EXCLUSIVE to the Trunk Crate Pro (TC-Pro) (Patented) brand. It is an Eco-Friendly professional grade, Heavy Duty...
- DURABLE - BUILT TOUGH to withstand wear and tear of vehicle use. Your car trunk organizer is manufactured with the strongest and most durable Oxford polyester fabric which can withstand the heavy use...
- USABILITY - EASY TO USE AND INSTALL, ANYONE CAN DO IT! Gone are the days of a messy car. Simply unfold and load any items you desire. It is one of the largest and most effective backseat organizer on...
- Sturdy Box Design – Fortem premium trunk storage organizer for car is reinforced with rigid base plates to support every side panel. Among car organizers and storage, ours will leave less mess to...
- Stays in Place – Our car trunk storage organizer has non-slip strips to prevent sliding and adjustable straps to secure to your trunk. Store small items in the tight mesh siding or pockets with...
- Multifunctional – Fortem Trunk organizers and storage make car organization easy and simple. Organize a variety of products from groceries to office supplies, accessories (handbags, shoes,) or toys...
- Pick-up truck tailgate ladder with a total weight capacity of 300 lbs
- Easy to install and capable of being deployed in seconds
- Significantly reduces the strain on you as you get in and out of the bed of your truck
- Reach Higher: Step on up with this sturdy secure step. Slip it over your vehicle tire, then reach your roof rack, engine bay, truck box, lumber rack, luggage and bike without overreaching
- Fits Almost Any Vehicle: Universal, height-adjustable design means it'll fit car tires, truck tires, RV tires, even semi-truck tires (we tested it, it fits perfectly!) It'll fit any tire with a cross...
- Work Safer: The metal cheesegrater surface and anti-slip tape strips offer incredible grip in the best and worst conditions. And the open design lets mud, slush and debris pass through.
- Very light to carry, but sturdy enough to support a laptop,lunch and notepad.
- Hook on your steering wheel, you will get an instant ergonomic desk.
- it can be Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed
- Truck Cargo Net made for heavy duty use. Multiple attachment points allow tighter angles for odd sized loads. Certified and Load Rated up to 1,500 lbs.
- Integrated webbing and mesh prevents snags and secures small objects. Easy to use and installed in munutes.
- Durable, high strength, weatherproofed materials. Easy to use.
- Cargo Net Rip-Proof Webbing Tarp
- Heavy-duty rip-stop mesh fabric
- Adjustable grommet system for versatility
- PULL YOUR STUCK VEHICLE SAFELY OR WE'LL RETURN YOUR MONEY! - Unlike the average tow straps which break after 6 months, professionals use our 20', 3" straps for towing & recovering stuck vehicles for...
- BEST RECOVERY STRAP WITH 7% MAX STRETCH, NO OTHER STRAP COMPARES - Sunferno strap will make your off-road journey a breeze. You can pull out a stuck car with the help of stretch and pull action. The...
- TREE LOG, STUMP REMOVAL MADE EASY, THE ONLY EXTREME DUTY STRAP - You can use your Sunferno tow strap to remove fallen trees, stump, bushes easily. With the 35321 lb break strength strap you'll be able...
- Has a heavy duty polyester 2" x 20' tow strap
- Capable of pulling up to 10,000 pounds
- Two safety hooks included for convenience
- TURN YOUR TRUCK INTO A CAMPER – Turn your truck into a camper in just a few moments with the Guide Gear Truck Tent for Camping. This truck bed tent provides a fast and comfortable shelter anywhere....
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT – Our compact truck tent is lightweight and perfect to be kept in your car. It comes with a heavy-duty, weather-resistant polyester carrying bag that makes it very convenient...
- FITS MOST FULL-SIZED BEDS – The full-size truck tent for camping fits most truck bed mattresses measuring 79-81" with the tail gate down. Pickup truck tent for Chevy, Ford, GMC, Nissan, Toyota, and...
- TIE DOWN ANYTHING WITH CONFIDENCE | Pack of  15 Ft Ratchet Strap Tie Downs Provides Durable, Dependable Security for Transporting a Variety of Small & Large Objects Including Motorcycle, Canoe,...
- FORMIDABLE 1,500 POUND BREAK STRENGTH | Straps Feature High-Quality Material & Extra Stitching for Indestructible Performance, Even When Maneuvering Loads Amidst Harsh Wind & Excessive Motion |...
- EASY ERGONOMIC HANDLES & ‘S’ HOOKS | Secure All Kinds of Odd-Shaped Stuff Without Worrying About Damaging Tools or Delicate Vehicle Surfaces | Easy-Grip Ratcheting Mechanisms Provide Excellent...
- ▶ SUPERIOR BUILD QUALITY - Coated Steel Ratchets, Chromoly S-Hooks and Indestructible PolyBlend Webbing
- ▶ SECURE PEACE OF MIND - Knowing the Motorcycle, ATV, UTV you Love is Safe & Secure when Travelling
- ▶ RELIABLE PERFORMANCE - Heavy Duty Incredible 5,208lb Break Strength! You Get What You Pay For!
- Note: For Toyota Tacomas later than 2005. Mid-size for 2005 Tacomas and earlier.
- Easy setup and takedown. Typically less than 3 minutes.
- Easily stored behind the truck seat.
- Ratchet Strap Kit – This Set of ratchet tie down straps includes 4 metal ratchet buckles with rubber grips, 4 soft loops straps, 4 heavy-duty S-Hook Straps (1 inch width). Everything is organized...
- Safe & Secure – Ratchet straps heavy duty S hooks and soft loops straps help create tie down anchor points to strap items to cars, SUVs and trucks. Ergonomic rubber grip handles make it easier to...
- Durability – Rubber coated stainless steel handles with a smooth, simple release latch. The S hooks are coated for added weather resistance. Altogether along with high-visibility green polyester net...
- SECURE YOUR VALUABLES - Enjoy outdoor activities without thinking of losing your keys, cards or valuables. This secure key vault inconspicuously allows you to keep your valuables secure at all times...
- HIGH IMPACT ALUMINUM - The Hitch receiver is constructed from high impact aluminum and is a vault that combined with the HitchSafe provides the most secure location on your vehicle to store spare keys...
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED - The HitchSafe easily installs and uninstalls in seconds with no tools required. To access your valuables you simply release the rubber dust cover that looks like any normal hitch...
- Fits 2020 - 2021 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra HD 2500/3500 Drivers Side
- TRUCK BED COVER COMPATIBLE The UnderCover SwingCase maintains a 3-inch clearance from the truck bed & works with virtually all tonneau covers: soft, hard, folding, and rolling.
- ULTIMATE ACCESSIBILITY This toolbox swings out nearly 180° towards you for easy access from the tailgate & swings back into a locking position over the wheel well for maximum bed access.
- Tool Box Tie Downs
- 6000 Series Aluminum J-Hook Tie Downs
- Secures Any Crossover Tool Box Firmly
- Versatile placement, can be clamped anywhere along the side rail
- Provides a solid anchor to tie down cargo
- Made of polished stainless steel
- TIRED OF WORRYING about your cargo shifting or falling off the trailer due to weak, broken and damaged straps?
- TIRED OF BUYING flimsy straps with cheap hardware and not getting the assurance you need for hauling your valuables?
- LOCKDOWN PREMIUM RATCHET STRAPS have the HEAVY DUTY STRENGTH & DURABILITY to keep your cargo SAFE!
Last update on 2021-07-29 at 17:43 PST - Details
Perform daily maintenance checks
A simple test on the dump truck is mandatory before getting started. The driver should carefully evaluate the dumper truck and look for any signs of damage.
All the tires of the dump truck should be in good condition. The windshield should be clean.
The next step is to see if the truck's lights such as the headlights and taillights are working fine or not. The dump bed should be operating without any problems. Finally, take a look at the brakes and backup alarm as well.
Avoid operating alone
Dump truck drivers often feel that they are qualified enough to run the dump truck bodies alone, but it is recommended that they don’t.
Irrespective of the experience a dump truck driver has, they should avoid attempting to operate the dump truck alone. It is good to have a partner acting as a spotter especially while maneuvering around a work site. The other driver must also help with other procedures like loading.
Be on level ground before unloading
Balance is one of the crucial factors when it comes to avoiding accidents with a dump truck. A lot of drivers forget to be on the level ground before they start unloading.
Unloading the dump truck just about anywhere leads to unexpected results. The unlevelled ground makes the truck less stable as the driver lifts the causing it to tip over. The driver must keep in mind that the longer the truck bed is, the easier it is to tip the truck.
Hence, the next time you unload you should preferably look for firmly packed soil or gravel. Apart from that, it is essential that the driver does not drive the truck with a raised bed. The bed must be flat while driving. Otherwise, it could ram into power lines or anything else at a height.
The load must be distributed evenly
Unevenly distributed weight often causes the dump truck bodies to lose balance. The load must be centered between the rails of the truck bed. This improves stability and makes sure that the truck is as stable as possible. The center of gravity must be centered. Ignoring something which is as insignificant as low tire pressure or a dip in the ground can create an upheaval with the truck's balance.
Install a truck bed liner
Another critical point to ensure that the dump truck works well is to install a truck bed liner. Drivers and dump body manufacturers often skip the step, leading to unexpected results.
The bed of the dump truck must have a truck body liner so that the load is able to flow out evenly while getting deposited. This provides the truck with an added balance and does not let it trip. Additionally, it helps prevent the load from getting stuck while unloading.
Clear the area of people or any other obstacles before driving
Finally, it is essential that area is clear of any obstructions or people while the truck is being operated. Does not matter how experienced the driver is, some accidents cannot be avoided. Thus, always make sure that you perform a safety check before you start dumping the load.
Request the people to move to a safe distance before starting to unload the dump truck. The situation becomes a bit more critical if you are using a remote control to operate the truck bed.
Thus, these were the top eight ways to make sure that your dump truck works well and does not meet any unforeseen accidents. Accidents cannot be avoided altogether. You don't know if your truck will be able to maintain its balance or not, but you can increase the safety factor and save your own life. Apart from the above tips, do make sure that the dump truck is in excellent condition when you buy it from someone. Second-hand dump trucks can have unexpected issues leading to accidents. Have a clear conversation with the dump body manufacturer beforehand. Be careful and stay safe.