The Best Mechanics Creeper: 5 Options To Consider
It's prim and proper that a vehicle owner knows how to fix his/ her toy. It is our responsibility to make sure that every parts and component of our cars get adequately maintained. Otherwise, you can't have a quiet time on the road.
But didn't you know that aside from the main hood of your car, most of the maintenance and repair procedure happen below? Of course, this is not a surprising fact for you. After all, you can see automotive technicians scooting and laying down flatly underneath various vehicles on a daily basis.
However, doing this task by yourself is not that simple, unless if you have the right tools and amenities. For me, one of the things that you should invest in the best mechanics creeper. Well, nobody wants to subject their back to extreme pain and numbness for an extended period, right? You can't just expect that you can handle the cold and unforgiving surface of the floor while you are tackling the machinery of your vehicle.
A creeper is a good solution to this problem. The tool has everything that you need for you to stay down. It is comfortable. It can provide you mobility. But more importantly, it doesn't allow your back to suffer. Your body doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.
So if you want an excellent mechanic's creeper, better proceed to the next section. I have listed all the best options that you have for this item. Let's start!
Best Mechanics Creeper: Top 5 Options
Last update on 2018-02-18 at 12:26 PST - Details
Guidelines in Choosing the Best Mechanics Creeper
It is pretty easy to say that all automotive creepers are just the same. As long as they let you lie on the ground comfortably while fixing your vehicle, they are already good. However, that is not the case. After all, you should already be aware of the fact that not all items are the same. Some are good, and some are bad.
So how do I derive this list? Well, based on my experience in automotive, there are given indicators that can suggest the quality and functionality of a creeper. Of course, these factors are not entirely absolute all the time. But in most cases, following these guidelines will help you out get the proper creeper for your vehicle.
Check out these factors now!
Even if you don't notice them that much, the wheels are the most significant contributor to the efficiency of a creeper. Take note that wheeled platform needs to slide and move from time to time. These wheels will allow you to do so conveniently. But didn't you know that not all creepers are using the same period of the motor?
For example, old variants of creepers are using steel wheels. When I say steel, it is 100% steel circular objects that attach the frame or body of the wheeled platform through the use of an axle. Yes. Steel wheels are rugged. But they are not very fluid. If they encounter obstacles like cracks and pebbles, they will get stuck.
The recent development revolves around wheels that are from urethane. These motors usually come with ball bearings for enhanced mobility. They are also more mobile than steel wheels. But they are still not perfect; primarily you would run them on asphalt surfaces.
The best set of wheels that you can get today are those 4 to 5 inches wheels. This wheel variant allows better and unrestricted movement of the creeper. Since they are big, they can easily shrug off substantial obstacles. They also come with ball bearings for enhanced functionality.
Meanwhile, an ergonomic set of wheels should be enclosed. Have you ever experienced working on a creeper, and then suddenly it ate up your shirt? If we are wearing loose shirts, it is inevitable that some parts of it will go to the wheels. Once you move the creeper, its wheels will suck your sweater. That is not a scenario in which you can just ignore. If the motors are enclosed or placed inwards, this predicament won't happen.
- Of course, another consideration that you should never ignore is the durability of the creeper. If it is frail, the wheeled platform won't be able to serve your purpose. It will just hurt your body if it suddenly breaks in the middle of your repair and maintenance.
- To ensure that the creeper is sturdy and durable, you should always check its frame. What is its component? Is it crafted from steel, aluminum, or other hard metals? Because if that's the case, then your body is safe and sound. You can expect that plastic frames can do anything much.
- There are some synthetic materials out there that they claim to be sturdy enough. But for me, the best equipment that the frame of the creeper should become constructed is steel or industrial-grade aluminum.
- Also, don't forget the platform of the creeper. Always see to it that it does not come with cheap plastic materials. Some of the automotive wheeled platforms that I have featured earlier have plastic platforms. But those are no ordinary plastics. They are heavy duty and industrial class, meaning that they won't crack even if they take high loads.
- The durability of a creeper is also related to its resistance against the elements. Since you are working with your vehicle, it is pretty apparent that grease and oil are part of the setting. They would eventually get on the creeper, causing stain and grime. Some people like the look of a dirty wheeled platform. For them, it is a sign of accomplishment. But for me, it is a big turn-off.
- I am not a compulsive person. However, a creeper that is hard to clean and maintain is a big turn down. The buildup of dirt can cause gradual deterioration of the structure of the wheeled platform. It would be best if the creeper can become easily washed off after you used it.
Regardless of how useful the features of a creeper are, if it is not comfortable, then it is entirely worthless. First and foremost, the reason why manufacturers create wheeled platforms is for the comfort of people. You can work underneath your vehicle without any protection or support. You can lie barely out there and let the cold and stiff surface induce different kinds of pains in your body. But I will never allow that happen to me.
- The creeper that you should get padded. Those cushions are the ones that can guarantee you comfort while you are stressing yourself underneath your vehicle. For those that have backboards made from plastic, make sure that they have molded design. The conventional model would reduce the possible strains that you can feel when you are moving.
- It would also be great if the creeper has an adjustable headrest. This feature would prevent stiff necks from happening. It can improve your efficiency in the work because you don't have to keep on adjusting the height of your head from time to time.
- Also, don't forget that your mobility is also essential here. If the creeper is too high, you might not fit underneath your car, unless if you have a jack. Make sure that the wheeled platform is spacious enough for your body and hands to stretch freely.
Having the best mechanics creeper in your car garage is a great thing. This valuable tool will allow you to toggle and tweak the lower parts of your vehicle conveniently and smoothly. It can prevent sprains and back pains from happening, too. But most importantly, a great creeper will enable you to focus on your work without being bothered by your placement.
You have a lot of options for an automotive creeper. Among the units that I have featured, the ATD 81051 Plastic Blow Molded Creeper is an impressive choice for starters and for those who want to keep things simple and smooth.
For those that have high demands on their shops, I recommend that you should try the Omega 91000 Black 40" Foldable Z Creeper or the Whiteside Manufacturing Professional Creeper. These two are genuinely sturdy, comfortable and flexible. They are for heavy-duty applications, so you are free to abuse them.
But at the end of the day, you are still the one who is going to decide which automotive creeper should you take. The units that I featured here are just some of the choices that you can have. For me, they are the best options that you have right now. However, you still have the freedom to get the creeper that you prefer the most.
Did this article help you? If you have some questions or suggestions, feel free to ask me in the comment section below!