Buyer’s Guide to the Top 5 Best Airbrush Compressor
As a beginner in using airbrushing, it may be tiring and challenging to look for the appropriate equipment for you. But, you need to remember that one of the most crucial things to consider is the air compressor. When you are on a tight budget, you need to compare the prices and specifications you need in an airbrush compressor.
However, a lot of people cannot help to pick a brand that may sound unusual, even if it’s too expensive. So, we are going to provide you a guide to help you choose the best airbrush compressor that has the right features without getting broke.
Last update on 2018-02-17 at 15:56 PST - Details
How Does an Airbrush Compressor Work?
Before we reveal the top air compressor to choose for your airbrushing tasks, let us find out first how this equipment functions. An airbrush compressor is a device that can compress outside air with the use of two pistons. Also, their tubes can stimulate the air pressure to make the tool work.
Then, the pistons squeeze the outside air going into the air storage tank, where it makes a specific amount of force. Next, it releases the air, and the device can function efficiently. The pressure created by the compressor is highly crucial because it needs a certain amount of pressure.
How Much Air Flow Capacity Should the Compressor Have?
The basic formula to find out how much capacity your compressor needs: Total Air Volume Need X 1/ Duty Cycle = Compressor CFM Requirement. Then, you need to check the setup of your device. Also, ask yourself the number of spray guns and airbrushes you will utilize at the same time. It will allow you to have your required total air volume. Also, you should have an exposed minimum when it comes to this figure. You do not need anything that is less than this value.
Moreover, when it comes to Duty Cycle, it is usually expressed in percentage. It means that the engine of the compressor should function for the proportion of each hour it is in use. Also, it is important that you follow the directions as possible, so you will keep the device running for a long time.
Features to Look for When Buying an Air Compressor
Finding the best compressor that can do its job is in the finest way possible. Also, you want something that is durable and long-lasting. And make sure that it is affordable and easy to use. You see, noise is a huge factor when it comes to choosing your compressor. Depending on your area, it is best to get equipment that has enough power but doesn’t emit loud noises. So, here are some specific features you need to consider before purchasing one:
Storage and Portability
Before buying a compressor, make sure that it is not bulky. Also, ensure that it comes with a handle. When it is not too heavy, then you can just store it anywhere you like. A lot of people build storages or cases for their air compressor, but you need to find something that is easy to carry on its own.
You have to look for equipment with durability and power. You need to a device that can stand long travels, some banging and dragging, and a lot of use. If it offers a great warranty, then this makes the compressor even better.
You need to search for an air compressor with an affordable price for what you can obtain. If you have extra accessories, then you even get a great deal.
When you want more power, you don’t need something that creates too much noise. When you want to work in a place where silence is necessary, then you need to buy a device that has a lower noise level.
Common Malfunctions and Troubleshooting
Here are some of the defects that you need to take note when handling and airbrush compressor:
You have to make sure that if the machine traps moisture, you need to close and lock the airtight drain to avoid air leaks. Also, you have to check out if the entire air connections are tight. So, you need to see the intake filter. Then, you need to work with the compressor and place your finger over the intake.
You need to feel a continuous suction during this period. If there isn’t any, then there may be leaking in the connections, or it may be because of a faulty valve.
The problem may be simple. However, you need to make sure that your compressor maintains its cleanliness. Oil, dirt, and other substances may become harmful over time. Also, it may keep heat in the compressor instead of moving it through the exterior metal to the air.
If you are utilizing an oil compressor every single day, you need to change it every six months. But, when you use it heavily, you need to replace the oil every three months. But, for average use, you can change the oil once a year.
However, if you smell something burnt or you see discoloration in your oil, it may be breaking down. So, you need to change it to make sure that your compressor lasts long. Moreover, you need to use the recommended oil of the manufacturer for safety.
5 Best Airbrush Compressor
Here is a list of the top airbrush compressor you need to consider purchasing:
Unique Features of the Product
The Master Airbrush with air compressor comes with a high precision control airbrush. Also, it has a dual-action feed brush with features for air control. Also, it comes with complete atomization and with air control valve.
Then, it has a large ½ ounce cup, 0.2 millimeters of needle and nozzle, cutaway handle, as well as a braided air hose that is around 6 feet tall. For its air compressor, it has an air regular, air storage tank, and gauge. What’s even better is that it has a one year warranty for any manufacturer defects and issues.
- The Master Airbrush comes with premium quality materials. So, you can assure that it is durable and long-lasting.
- It comes with an air tank, which is a plus for me.
- Also, I think that it’s air compressor is one of the best available devices on the market today. It is easy to handle and to use.
- The compressor also doesn’t produce too much noise. In fact, it blends well with the surrounding sounds when you work outdoors.
- Plus, the whole product is affordable, but it does the job done efficiently and on time.
- For me, the downfall of this the product is the airbrush itself. Before it broke down, it sprayed inconsistently.
Unique Features of the Product:
The Sprint Jet compressor of the Iwata- Media Studio Series is perfect for professional and occasional artists wanting to use the product for any airbrush applications. It is not only compact, but it is also powerful to use. Plus, it doesn’t produce too much noise, and it is a reliable device. It comes with less oil for piston compressor and zero- maintenance.
Also, its moisture avoids pulsations. The adjustment in the valve air flow allows to lower down the air pressure. Plus, it has an air pressure gauge mounted on the device. You can work with a pressure starting from one psi to 35 psi. It has a high-quality polyurethane hose that can fit any Iwata airbrushes. Its motor is 1/8 hp motor.
- It is very convenient to use, especially if you are an artist that wants to work on general applications.
- Also, it is easy to clean. All you need to do is a soft cloth, and you are ready to go.
- It has a pretty excellent compact shape, and it is quiet when you use it indoors or outdoors.
- The product is long-lasting and durable.
- Plus, it's small handle makes it easy to move and carry anywhere you like.
- Although the compressor is excellent, when you adjust the psi, it doesn’t exceed my expectation. However, it is still a great purchase.
- Moreover, the water filter allows water to fill in the line. So, it needs a separator.
Unique Features of the Product:
With a 1/5 horsepower, the Pointzero airbrush compressor is durable and robust to use. Also, it comes with 1.0 CFM for extra quiet operation. It can work on high-demanding tasks and can run until it reaches around 58 psi. Then, you can cycle it off until it reaches 40 psi before restarting again. It has a stop and auto-start feature that can save enough power and decreases your motor wear.
Furthermore, it a has a sensitive, yet efficient diaphragm regulator and integrated pressure gauge. The water-trap of the device enables an accurate regulation and delivery of dry and clean air. It comes with less oil design, which makes it appropriate for the body or nail art, food decorating, and other brushing applications.
- It is such a great airbrush compressor that is cost-effective.
- Also, it is one of the most efficient airbrushes that does the work properly.
- It is easy to use, and it does not produce harsh noises when the device is running.
- Plus, when in use, it keeps up its pressure quite well.
- The only problem I have with this product is that at times, the water-trap feature doesn’t work quite well. So, you have to check it out every time the airbrush compressor runs.
Unique features of the Product:
First of all, this product has a very stylish design and what’s even better is that it comes with a portable airbrush compressor. So, you can carry and transfer it wherever you want. The Grex airbrush combo kit is convenient and straightforward to use. Also, it comes with premium quality tritium and TS airbrush. It has rich and high-quality features, and it works silently indoors or outdoors.
Moreover, the G- MAC factor gives the user the accurate and unrestrained air flow control. The equipment has reservoirs of 7 and 15 ml gravity cups. Also, it comes with a side siphon with a 30ml bottle.
- It is easy to use, and you can use it indoors and outdoors.
- The Grex airbrush compressor doesn’t emit loud sounds that may disturb you while working.
- Also, it is portable, which makes it easy for you to move and carry wherever you like.
- The product already comes with an instructional DVD, so it is straightforward for you to follow the guidelines when installing and using it.
- Plus, it is affordable compared to other brands which offer the same function as this equipment.
- On the other hand, a downfall of this product is that the nozzle of the device tends to crack or break whenever you push it too far.
- Also, after quite some time, I notice that the compressor itself malfunctions, especially when you regulate the pressure.
Unique Features of the Product:
The airbrush and air compressor kit combines the single-action H-SET. Also, it already comes with a high-quality compressor and cleaning set. The Hairbrush is easy to handle and to use. So, it best suits beginners who are still trying to control their movements while running the equipment.
Plus, the airbrush has three spray heads that enable the brush to give off paint for almost all applications. The airbrush compressor also provides at least 20 to 30 psi, depending on the spray head you use.
- The product is easy to set up and provides complete and understandable instructions.
- The Paasche airbrush and compressor kit is worth your money because it does the job done.
- Moreover, it is convenient and easy to use. So, even beginners won’t have a hard time using this product.
- The compressor produces enough sound. So, it won’t disturb you while you are working on your project.
- Also, it comes with everything that you need for a beginner’s use.It works extremely well when you brush any items you want for your task.
- Unfortunately, I could not assemble the device accordingly.
- Also, a small yet constant leak in the product makes it quite hard to regulate and use at times.
- Then, on the regulator, I could not screw it into the right position. So, it makes disturbing emotions when I handle and manipulate the equipment.
In the grand scheme of equipment, here come the airbrushes and air compressors, which are highly needed when it comes to various projects at home. But, choosing the best airbrush compressor may be challenging yet the most expensive task to do.
That said, we have covered the airbrush compressors you need to purchase that will do the job in no time. Above, we have ranked all of the devices that are available on the market today. Some may be better than the others when it comes to specifications and features. Different models and brands will give off ideal results.
However, we have found out that the Master Airbrush and Air Compressor and the Iwata- Medea Studio Series Compressor both claim the top spot. Not only that both of them are easy to use for advanced users, but they are durable and long-lasting. Also, the two of them are easy to handle, so you can carry and move them wherever you like.
And lastly, you do not have to panic when you do the most intricate tasks when it comes to airbrushing because they can execute quite impressively.