To ensure that your tire is secured and properly in place, you need the best impact pockets. These are tools that are tougher, thus they provide more strength. We came up with a list of impact pockets to select from for your day-to-day wrenching.
Our Top 5 Picks
Last update on 2019-02-20 at 14:15 PST - Details
For the editor’s pick, DEWALT’s Tough Box of 1/2 Drive Impact Socket Set proved to be most appealing. Its heat-treated CR-440 steel provides strength and endurance. These impact sockets are coated with black oxide to prevent corrosion and rusting.
The DEWALT impact sockets are indeed heavy-duty because they are sturdy enough to endure impact work. It laser etched markings are highly visible, thus they are easier to follow. Finally, this set has a full lifetime warranty provision from DEWALT.
- It is made up of CR-440 steel that is quite different from the usual materials.
- This steel is used in creating high-grade cutlery, thus it is also just as tough as an impact socket.
- This impact socket is compatible with direct torque control.
- With direct torque control, the socket’s strength is easier to manage and measure. It becomes easier to rotate is for wrenching.
- It comes with a lockable stacking case.
- This is great for storage of the impact socket to avoid losing them. It also prevents exposure to air that might cause corrosion.
We do not like
- While helpful, the black oxide coating easily gets peeled off the impact socket.
- If you’re used to chrome sets, then it might take you a while to get adjusted to this type of material.
The Neiko 02443A Drive Impact Socket Set contains both 3/8 and 1/2 inches impact sockets. This means that you have both sockets for two types of wrenching work. These are made of high strength chrome vanadium steel.
The kind of material that makes up Neiko 02443A guarantees greater torque. They are both reliable due to their hardness. Even better, they are resistant to corrosion and oil that may potentially damage them.
- Each impact socket is made of high-quality chrome vanadium steel.
- The impact socket can endure high pressure because of the high strength that their materials provide.
- The impact sockets are dropped, forged, and heated for a long time.
- This long production treatment of the impact sockets made them achieve accurate hardness. This also reduces wear and tear.
- Each piece is a special 6-point flank drive design.
- Since the fasteners have flat sides, then they do not damage the corners
We do not like
- It’s a 38-piece set impact sockets, so you may not be able to use all of them until they wear out.
- It does not include a 1/4-inch impact socket that you may need in certain situations.
If you are looking for a high-quality impact socket set that’s more affordable, the Stanley 97-126 is the answer. This 11-piece socket set is made of chrome vanadium steel that provides its strength. It also has a black powder coat finish as protection from rusting.
For a relatively cheaper price, this set has just the amount of impact sockets enough for maintenance. It provides 15% more torque to faster tightening. Since it has a unique radius corner design, it is great for the turning of rounded corners.
- Its black powder coat finish is a reliable feature to prevent rusting.
- The impact socket is exposed to lots of elements, but rusting is prevented due to the coating.
- The unique radius design is great for rounded corners.
- Since the design of the impact socket is already optimal, there will be no problems operating it.
- The chrome vanadium steel provides strength and durability.
- This material helps the impact socket to have more endurance, making it compatible with heavy duty works.
We do not like
- This impact socket set is not a full set, so it may only be useful for immediate or emergency needs.
- It only has a limited lifetime warranty, which means that it is much more restricted than other impact socket brands.
Now, if you’re not worried about the price and wants an enormous set, you have the Sunex 3342. This impact set is made up of the finest impact grade steel out there. It is a good choice to ensure the strength and durability of the impact socket.
More than that, the Sunex 3342 has a radius corner design that is good for round corners. This also increases the torque of the impact socket when wrenching. They also provide a lifetime warranty for each boxed set.
- The impact grade steel material amps up the durability of the impact socket.
- It provides higher capability and strength to the impact pocket to fulfill its duty for the vehicle.
- There are 42 pieces of impact pockets contained in the box.
- It is possible that you can only buy one set for a lifetime and use it for every vehicle you own.
- It has a full lifetime warranty.
- If anything, this is an assurance that the impact socket will last a long time. You don’t have to worry about replacement and repair at all.
We do not like
- The box only contains 3/8 inches, instead of mixing it with 1/2 or 1/4 inches impact sockets.
- If you are on a tight budget, then this set will be relatively more expensive for you.
For those who are experiencing problems of rounding off, the TEKTON Impact Socket Set is the solution. This impact socket has a high torque and 6-point socket design. It can perfect grip even the flat sides of fasteners.
Moreover, it is made of chrome vanadium steel that guarantees strength and longevity. It also comes with a red case that makes it is easier to bring the set anywhere. The insides are molded and marked so you know where to replace the used impact socket.
- This impact socket is high-torque and has a 6-point design.
- It helps prevent rounding off because of its ability to grip even the flat sides of the fasteners.
- It is made of chrome vanadium steel.
- This material makes the impact socket stronger and helps prevent corrosion and rusting.
- It has a black phosphate finish.
- It does not easily come off, so the impact socket is always protected and always looks new.
We do not like
- For some people, the black finish may come off easily due to the kind of working environment it’s exposed to.
- It is only composed of 1/2 impact sockets, so there are no available ones for 3/8 and 1/4 wrenches.
Making an Impact with Impact Socket
When loosening or tightening a fastener into a vehicle, you need an impact pocket to withstand force. An impact tool, such as the impact wrench, causes the sockets to shake. In order to prevent them from breaking, the impact socket controls the force.
There are a lot of available impact sockets around, and they often come in sets. Before spending a good amount of your money on a set, you should know first what to look out for. Here’s what you should remember when buying impact sockets.
The Impact Socket Material
Before everything else, you must first know which material is used to create the impact socket. There are quite a lot, but the most common is the chrome vanadium steel. This particular type of steel is really made to endure force and strength.
If an impact socket is made of chrome vanadium steel, then there’s already a guarantee that it will perform well. But other than that, you can also rely on other materials such as chrome molybdenum. These are powerful types of steels made for huge impacts.
The Impact Socket Torque
Essentially, the torque of the impact socket determines its twisting force. In order for the socket to secure the tire, the wrench gun twists it. Thus, the impact socket should have a high torque for a successful insert of the socket.
If the impact socket is too tight, then it will be problematic because you can’t control the socket. If it’s too loose, then you have no way of knowing whether it is tight enough to maintain in position. Thus, you need to closely examine the torque before buying.
The Impact Socket Coating
Oftentimes, the impact sockets are colored black because of its finishing or coating. This coating helps the impact socket prevent rusting or corrosion. As we all know, rusting causes damage to steel and lessens its endurance.
While the non-coated ones are also okay to use, it is still better to have extra protection. Some of these coatings are made of a black oxide coating, which is very reliable against rusting. The black color also makes it distinguishable from other sockets.
The Impact Socket Drive Size
The impact socket has different drive size fit for a particular type of work. This is why most box sets of impact socket have several drive size combinations. The most common drive sizes are 3/8” and 1/2" but there are occasional 1/4”.
The drive size of impact socket you are using will depend on whether you are working on a small or large item. The 3/8” drive size is more commonly used because of its versatility. You only need to attach an adaptor to it if you’re working on a 1/2 or 1/4.
The Impact Socket Advantage
Using an impact socket greatly improves the quality of your work. It is a protection for the socket to prevent from breaking while you wrench or drill it. This way, you save up on time and expenses for new materials.
Other than that, the impact size pocket can be used for both impact and powered turning tools. Since it serves as a protection for the socket, you also prevent injury in case the socket shatters. Finally, you are able to apply higher torque if it can endure it.
The Impact Socket Use
If you’re a beginner, then you need to familiarize yourself first with how to use an impact socket. Pay attention to its size and shape, especially those that are hexagonal and octagonal. After this, fit in the socket first with the impact socket to see if they match.
Now that all preparations are laid out, you can already get the socket wrench to get to work. This is how simple it is to use an impact socket. However, you do need to remain more cautious in using it as accidents can still happen.
Achieving efficiency with impact sockets
Strength and endurance are necessary qualities to be the best impact sockets. You have to look at its materials and torque to really know its capabilities. Before spending your money, you certainly need to check out its quality first.
The thing with impact sockets is that they may seem to be small tools, but you need to pay attention to details. You can’t just buy something based on the drive size. The most important thing, as always, is knowing how much working efficiency it can provide.
Seeing all of the individual impact socket brands, you can’t help but think that all of them are great. They are made of the best material possible to ensure that they are giving providing efficiency. But alas, only one stands out the most, and that is Neiko.
The Neiko 02443A Impact Socket Set is a combination of 3/8 and 1/2 inches drive size fit. This a 38-piece set of chrome vanadium steel-made impact sockets. Considering the strength and endurance requirement, the Neiko completely delivers.
Not only is this product reliable in terms of power, it is also useful for a long time. Neiko impact sockets are anti-corrosion, which means that they don’t rust easily. Thus, the Neiko 02443A is a product that meets all efficient qualification.