What Makes the Best Screwdriver Set: Things to Look Out For?
Last update on 2018-06-17 at 15:38 PST - Details
Have you ever experienced trying to remove a tiny screw only to end up getting frustrated? Because the screwdriver you are using is too big, or vice versa. It does not always have to be the case if you have the best screwdriver set in your tool shed.
Today, we will be giving you a run on things to look out for in finding the best screwdriver set. Don’t worry about having too many pieces! If you are very active in house work and projects, you will surely put to use all pieces as they have their particular uses.
Things to Look Out For When Buying Screwdriver Sets
When purchasing screwdriver sets, quantity is not always quality. You can’t just say that a particular screwdriver set is good unless it offers variety. For instance, if you bought a ten piece screwdriver set but three of them are just of the same size, then that’s not practical.
The whole point of buying a complete screwdriver set is for you to be able to maximise the use of each screwdriver type. Having the particular screwdriver type you need for a project will let you work more efficiently.
With that said, here are several things for you to look out first before splurging on screwdriver sets:
The types of screwdriver included in the set
Just as we mentioned earlier, having different types of the screwdriver in the set is very important. So, it is also important for you to know what are the most common types of a screwdriver and what their uses are.
There are five common types of screwdrivers: the slot head, the Phillips head, the Allen wrench, the Torx Drive and the Robertson. There is also the precision screwdrivers which you can use for gadgets, devices, computers or eyeglasses. You can even use them to repair toys!
Before buying the set, know what you’re getting and what you deem you need for your projects. The nature of your projects and situations you will be using the screwdrivers for can help you minimise a long list.
The number of pieces included in the set
It is also essential that you take into consideration the number of pieces included in the set. From the primary ten piece set to the professional 69 piece set, there’s a wide variety of groups you can select. Remember, again; quantity is not quality.
The best screwdriver set does not have to be the 69 piece set. After all, having that many pieces in a set might not be as practical if most of them are actually of the same type. Or even worse, if you do not know their specific uses.
Even if it’s just a 10 or 17 piece set, you would be able to make the most out of it, if you know how to use them properly.
The quality and the material of the individual screwdrivers
Another important thing to look out for would be the material used for each screwdriver included in the set. The screwdriver bit and shank are usually made with nickel, chromium or any tough steel.
Make sure that the material used for the screwdrivers are actually rust and corrosion resistant. It is a given that rust and corrosion decreases the quality of any tool or equipment.
The handle is also essential as it can determine your level of comfort while using the screwdriver. Make sure that it has a good grip. Typical materials used for screwdriver handles are usually either plastic or rubber.
See which material you are more comfortable to use. Make sure that it doesn’t take advantage of any flimsy material. Remember, you will be gripping the handle a lot. A sturdy handle will give you more leverage when driving screws in or out.
Also, check if the screwdriver is well-made in general. Some screwdrivers that are very cheap usually end up getting the handle and the shank separated in time. You might find yourself trying to use the screwdriver shank alone because the handle came off.
And that is what we are trying to avoid.
The size and length of the screwdrivers
The size of the bit and the length of the screwdriver shanks are also among the most important factors. The longer or taller the screwdriver is, the more torque it can provide. It is crucial when driving in screws to thick or harder materials such as wood.
However, it is not just the screwdriver itself that has a particular size. The tips of screwdrivers also come in different sizes and “shapes”. Having a variety of bits (both in size and form) can help you accomplish a wider range of jobs.
The five standard screwdrivers we mentioned earlier have different bit shapes and purposes. If you are not too sure about this aspect, do not be afraid to check out more screwdriver guides.
Finally, the warranty. Although offering a guarantee is not a compulsory among sellers and manufacturers, it is still an excellent thing to find. If you can find a good screwdriver set that also offers a warranty, then that is a huge plus on your part.
Buying a screwdriver set that comes with a warranty can help you save more money in the long run. Do not be tempted to buy incredibly cheap groups only to find them falling apart after a few uses.
There are even brands who offer lifetime replacement or lifetime warranty. Don’t worry if they come off as a little pricey at first. Having to buy a new set or piece of screwdriver every time one break can add up in the long run. Thus it can become more expensive.
So it is better not to compromise on the price in the first place if it means good quality.
Our Top 5 Picks
ORIA’s 76-in 1 precision screwdriver set has everything that you’re looking for if you’re in the electronics industry. Its name 76-in-1 comes to the number of screwdrivers and added tools included. However, if you try to total that amount, it reaches around 79 pieces.
Besides the generous amount of tools, this set delivers top-notch durability and precision in its screwdrivers. The materials used in particular are CRV plastic and stainless steel, which have an ergonomic design for efficient use.
- The screwdriver set boasts around 60 magnetic screwdrivers
- The magnetised feature allows better control in the bolts that you use
- Comes with high-quality added tools
- Some of the essential tools that you can find in the set are Ipad holders, utility knives, plastic and metal plungers, and anti-static tweezers.
- Its ergonomic design and compact size make it an excellent tool for handling motherboards and other electronics such as cellular phones and Apple products.
- It comes with a nylon bag that makes organising and packing the tools easier and more efficient
- Great at handling electronics, but not really for industrial work
- If you’re looking for large, heavy-duty screwdriver, this set is not for you
- Some screws may have trouble regarding fitting
Craftsman’s slotted Phillips screwdriver set is exactly the opposite compared to the ORIA set that we just reviewed. Unlike the previous set, Craftsman focuses its screwdrivers on meeting the demands of large-scale to medium-scale applications in several industries.
If you’re an electrician, a mechanic, or just a hobbyist who like to tinker with equipment or raw materials, this set is for you. It comes with 17 pieces of screwdrivers, with only the precision screwdriver not being included!
- Extremely durable construction will let this 17-piece set last for a long time
- Its handle has butyrate material which helps strengthen the structure but at the same time keep it ergonomic to use.
- The product's heated blade provides the best tip to lock-in screws for easier and more efficient tightening
- It comes with a slotted cutter feature that prevents any loose connection with the hexes of the screws
- Versatile screwdriver
- You can do a lot of jobs with this, from tightening screws in car engines, to working on electrical circuits.
- For its price, it might be a little expensive compared to its counterparts
- Also, this set does not come with any add-ons like the other types
- You might notice an uneven layer of wax or lacquer in the handles, which can be a little distractive.
Dewalt has been a mainstay in the industrial sector for a very long time now. From its hand drills down to its screwdrivers, you’re bound to get good quality items that are for industrial or home applications.
With this said, Dewalt 45-piece screwdriver set might be the only thing you’ll need if you want a versatile set. It can do many things for you, except using it on electronics since it does not have precision screwdrivers. Still, you can hardly go wrong with a 45-piece set that’s built to last.
- Dewalt only makes use of one handle
- All of the steel rods that it uses are detachable. It allows you to save up a lot of space when storing the 45-piece screwdrivers.
- The product comes with a sturdy case that can withstand harsh conditions should you use your screwdriver set outside
- Works well with almost any application
- You can use it for industries that require hard-nosed screwdrivers like automobile repairs and mechanical engineering
- The set comes with the square, slotted, and double-ended types for maximum versatility.
- It does not have any precision screwdrivers, which can restrict you if you’re also involved in electronic work
- Double-end bits are not notched
- It limits its compatibility with impact screwdrivers
Performance tool boasts its W1721 screwdriver set that features a 100-piece collection of literally everything you’ll need. It’s arguably the most excellent and complete set on our list, as it has heavy duty power bit screwdrivers to the small precision ones.
Performance tool also efficiently stores these screwdrivers through its convenient pouch that easily stores and carries the screwdrivers.
- Comfortable non-slip handle
- The handle comes with a top-notch cushion grip for efficient use
- The bright red colour lets you spot it quickly when it is soiled or lost
- A complete set of screwdrivers
- The 100-piece set is all you can ask for because it has precision screwdrivers to the bigger ones.
- Comes with a magnetic tip and chrome vanadium blades
- Solid construction for maximum efficiency in the workplace
- The case saves a lot of space and is convenient to use, but the durability is questionable
- The blackened tip of the bits can be scraped off over time
Unlike Performance Tool, Dewalt, and Craftsman, Kutir has been keeping a low profile in the market for screwdrivers. However, this doesn’t mean that you should not try it out. For one, Kutir’s 6-piece set might be the smallest in size, but it will deliver reliable quality in exchange.
Intended for the minimalist and specialist, Kutir intricately designs its screwdrivers for it to last. Its solid construction and innovation also keep it competitive despite its small size. If you’re looking for quality over quantity, this product should be on your list of choices.
- Comfortable handle
- The handle is meticulously made to help you control the screwdriver even in the most complicated applications
- The handle comes with PP+PTR material which is perfect for wet and oily hands
- The 6-piece set comes in magnetic tips and top-notch rods
- It specifically has three Philips and three slotted screwdrivers, all made with durable S2 superior alloy steel material.
- It’s processed by a vacuum heat processor, and exceeds over 70% of Germany’s standards
- Might only have six pieces, but it still comes with a sturdy box for storage and transportation purposes.
- Kutir only has six pieces, with the precision and power screwdrivers absent
- That can limit its use especially if you’re engaged in a lot of activities
- The magnetic tip may be a bit weak compared to others
- However, it does not pose a significant threat to your work.
When buying the best screwdriver set, you should consider several things. For one, this tool must meet all the needs you have as a hobbyist, a repairman, an engineer, and much more. Treat it as a long-term investment, so always reflect on what you need out of your screwdrivers.
With this said, for the sake of everyone, we’ll award the winner to Performance tool’s 100-piece screwdriver set. It has everything you’ll need, with the often separated precision and power screwdrivers included. Its robust construction is also a big bonus outside of its versatility.
Still, the other four products we listed are great products to consider. Everything will just boil down to what your preferences are, and what type of work you are doing. Good luck and don’t forget to leave a comment and share it with your friends!