You can make so many things out of wood. In fact, a lot of your house and furniture might be made of wood. To make things even more interesting, why not get creative and make things yourself? You can make something to give as a gift or to use in your home. Either way, it's like adding more personality to the story.The tools you will use and need will depend on what you’re creating, but here are the basics: a saw, hammer, and nails, wood glue, paint, and paintbrushes. You might also want sandpaper, measuring instruments, and carving tools. You may also use a wood lathe.
To be safe, you will want to put on protective gear such as gloves and goggles, especially for bigger and more complicated projects.
1. A Pallet SignIf you think your walls are too bare, then try adding personality to it by putting a pallet sign with words to live by. For this project, you might need a saw, a hammer and nails, painting tools, measuring tools, and sandpaper. You can buy the plank of wood, or you can recycle old wooden crates or boxes.
- First, you need cut the wood to the shape of your choice. If you are using multiple pieces, you can put them together with glue, nails or screws.
- If necessary, sand out the wood, especially the edges, to make it smooth. Then can paint it the way you want to.
- Finally, paint in the words you want to put in.
2. A stylish chalkboardThe thing with a chalkboard is that you can change the expression when you like. It’s easy to make, just like a pallet sign. You’ll need wood, chalkboard paint, and rope. If you want, you cChildren’s toysan also add a frame to make it stand out more. For more details on how to make your framed chalkboard, click here.
- Get a wooden board and paint it with chalkboard paint.
- You can paint the frame with any color you like, or you carve in decorative details. Another option is to get you can get wooden letters and spell something out on the frame.
- Add rope at the back of the board and hang it on your wall. If not, you can also just let it lean against the wall on a bookshelf.
3. BookendsBookends are simple to make, and you will not need so many materials. However, you can make it more creative by adding stand out pieces to it, like a small clock or globe, or even a letter or words. Click here for more.
- You’ll need 4 pieces of square-cut wood that are the same size.
- Pair the wood and form a letter “L.” To connect them, you can use glue or screws.
- You can paint it the wait you like, or keep the natural color of the wood. You can also add more detail by adding placing something on top of the “L,” like a small globe, a small desk clock, or figurines. It’s totally up to you.
4. Chessboard, coffee table (or both)You can make your living room look more hip by adding a unique piece. For instance, a rustic coffee table with a chessboard pattern on top. Click here for more ideas on DIY coffee tables.
- Measure the dimensions you want for your table. Make sure to get the measurements right to avoid a rocky or unstable outcome.
- Paint in the colors of the chessboard. You can also try staining the pattern instead of painting it, for a more natural effect.
- To keep your chess pieces, you can build a box to store them in.
5. Boxes/Trays/cratesYou can get creative with wood even if it is simple and plane. You can use wood to make cute boxes or crates to keep house items.
- In the kitchen, you can use a cute wooden box to keep your spices. You can also make a tray for your plates, bowls, etc.
- In the bathroom, you can place your toilet paper, bottles of shampoo or hand wash soap, etc. You can also make soap holders by carving out a piece of wood.
- You can make a breakfast-in-bed tray too.
6. Art pieces like a carved plate, candle holders, etcYou can create really beautiful pieces on wood by carving, shaping or turning. You will need the right type of wood, carving materials, and a lot of patience too. Carve a wooden spoon, a candle holder, a picture or pattern; it can be a decor or something functional. It’s totally up to you.
7. Children’s toysMaking your own children’s toys has a lot of benefits than just buying them. You can also take the opportunity to spend time with your child and even use it to teach different values or lessons. You can make lots of types of wooden toys but here are some suggestions:
- Wooden cars
- Model airplanes