Undoubtedly, your washing machine is a workhorse in your household, tirelessly cleaning your clothes day in and day out! So, to ensure it continues to perform at its best and lasts for years, regular maintenance is crucial. In this guide, we’ll explore how to effectively maintain your washing machine and keep it as good as new.
The first step to longevity is regular cleaning
Suppliers of washing machines in Cork such as Irwin’s Megastore suggest cleaning your washing machine. It might seem counterintuitive, but it’s essential to remove detergent residue, dirt, and grime that accumulate over time. Follow these steps for a sparkling clean machine:
- Clean the drum: Run a hot water cycle with no clothes and add a cup of white vinegar or a washing machine cleaner to disinfect and remove any odors.
- Clean the dispenser: Remove the detergent, bleach, and fabric softener dispensers, and wash them in warm, soapy water.
- Wipe the exterior: Use a damp cloth to clean the exterior, including the control panel and door. Don’t forget the rubber door gasket where mold can develop.
- Clean the filter: Front-loading machines often have a filter that traps debris. You should consult your user manual for instructions on how to clean it, typically every few months.
Maintain the proper balance to prevent shaking and noise
An unbalanced load can cause excessive shaking and noise, potentially damaging your washing machine. Follow these tips to maintain proper balance:
- Evenly distribute clothes: Ensure clothes are evenly distributed inside the drum. Overloading or underloading can lead to balance issues.
- Use a level: Check that your washing machine is level. If not, adjust the legs until it’s stable.
- Inspect the shock absorbers: Front-loaders have shock absorbers that can wear out. Replace them if you notice excessive vibration during the spin cycle.
Check and clean the drain pump
A clogged drain pump can cause drainage problems and lead to foul odors. Here’s how to keep it in top condition:
- Inspect the pump filter: Regularly check and clean the pump filter, usually located at the bottom of the machine, to prevent debris buildup.
- Run a maintenance cycle: Some washing machines have a self-cleaning cycle for the pump. Consult your manual to see if your machine offers this option.
Keep an eye on hoses and connections
Leaks are a common issue with washing machines. To prevent water damage and costly repairs, follow these guidelines:
- Inspect hoses: Regularly check the hoses for signs of wear, such as cracks or bulges. Replace them every 3 to 5 years (or sooner) if necessary.
- Tighten connections: Ensure all water supply and drain hose connections are tight and secure.
Use the right detergent and quantity
Did you know that using the wrong detergent or excessive amounts can lead to buildup and damage? Follow these guidelines for detergent use:
- Use HE detergent: If you have a high-efficiency machine, use HE detergent, which is formulated to produce fewer suds.
- Measure properly: Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for detergent quantity based on load size and soil level.
Overloading your washing machine can strain its motor and decrease its lifespan. Follow these tips for proper loading:
- Don’t overstuff: Avoid cramming too many clothes into a single load. Give them room to move freely.
- Check weight limits: Be aware of your machine’s weight limits, typically found in the user manual.
I'm so excited to tackle all my home improvement projects! From plumbing to DIY and cleaning - I'm ready to get down to work! #homerepair #homecleaning #plumbing #diy #fixerupper #realestate #renovation #interiordesign #farmhouse #diy #homedecor #hgtv #home #farmhousedecor #modernfarmhouse #farmhousestyle #fixerupperstyle #fixandflip #homerenovation #realestateinvesting #beforeandafter #homesweethome #remodel #realestateinvestor #interior #realtor #joannagaines #flippinghouses #countryliving #design #homedesign #farmhouseinspired #investmentproperty #bhghome #renovationproject #farmhousekitchen #homeimprovement #farmhouseliving #cottagestyle #decor #realestateagent #magnoliahome #homeinspo #magnoliamarket #kitchendesign #dreamhome #shiplap #construction #houseflipping #investor #farmhousedesign #architecture #farmhousechic #homereno #rusticdecor #reno #kitchenremodel #webuyhouses #magnoliatable #rentalproperty #fixerupperinspired #newhome #interiors #homeremodel