Best Tips To Use Your Own Router With FiOS
While buying pre-built packages is usually more convenient, sometimes getting your own device is a better choice. It allows for more control and customization. This is why quite a few people want to use their own router instead of purchasing the one their Internet service provider offers.
However, this is not as easy as plugging your new router in and using it. If you are a Verizon FiOS user, you must understand the requirements and take a look at the steps closely before making any decisions. Since this process can be daunting and boring, we are here to walk you through everything you need to know. And, we hope it will help you set up your own router with FiOS without hassle. Let’s begin.
What is FiOS?
This section is for the benefit of beginners. If you already know about FiOS, please feel free to skip to the next section.
FiOS is an Internet service that Verizon offers. It is a 100% fiber-optic network that promises insane speed because fiber optics have the potential to move data faster than most. This service is also very reliable, and you will barely ever have to worry about drop-offs.
Verizon, through its FiOS service, promises the following:
- Lag-free gaming
- Video streaming without buffering
- Flash download!
- Crazy amount of bandwidth
Setting up FiOS at home
When you purchase Verizon Internet services, you will be given a choice to either rent or purchase a router from them. Renting is billed monthly while the purchase, of course, requires a one-time payment. You can also purchase your own router and avoid paying extra to Verizon.
Here, you should remember that the FiOS network does not need a modem. It, instead, uses an Optical Network Terminal or ONT. So, using your own modem doesn’t even come into the picture. You just need a compatible router. The good news is that all routers are compatible, but you must buy one that can handle the insane speed that Verizon offers. Otherwise, you won’t be able to enjoy high-speed, uninterrupted Internet. Make sure you buy a high-end router so that it performs well.
How to use your own router with FiOS
The method changes with the service you have. If your service includes TV, you will need an additional adapter (MoCA). If it doesn’t, the process is fairly easy. Below are detailed steps that will clear all your doubts:
- You will need to check how the router connects to the ONT. Newer models connect to the WAN port directly using an Ethernet cable while a few older models use the coaxial cable. Once you have clarity here, you will know how to proceed.
- If the connection is via the Ethernet cable, don’t worry. You can directly jump ahead. If there’s a coaxial cable, though, you will have to do the following:
- Locate the ONT and look for the Ethernet port. Depending on the type of ONT, you may need to remove the cover to find it.
- You don’t need to touch the coaxial cable yet. Just plug the Ethernet cable into the port.
- Now, call the customer service at Verizon and request them to activate your WAN port. This may take some time. So, until it gets activated, you can continue using coax.
- Once the port is activated, remove the coax cable and open a web browser. Type the default gateway address for the Verizon router and sign in. The address is usually http://192.168.1.1. Go to My Network on the left and choose Network Connections > Broadband Connections > Settings. Here, find the DHCP License and click on Release. Then, Apply. This process is to disable the Verizon router.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable and power cable from the router and leave them for a few seconds.
- Now is the time to remove your router from its package! Take the ethernet cable and plug it into the right port. Turn the router on.
- It may take a few minutes for the service to start working. Be patient.
- Now, connect your computer using the new router. Use the router’s manual and follow all the setup instructions. We cannot list them out here because these instructions are specific to the router.
Steps to set up the TV service
Those with FiOS TV service need to buy a MoCA adapter, as aforementioned. This is important because switching directly to a new router will disable a few important functions. A MoCA adapter is important to continue using those features.
Once you go through all the steps to change the router, use the coaxial cable to connect with the MoCA adapter. Do the same with the Ethernet cable. The other end of this cable goes into the router. Switch the TV set-top box off for a few seconds and power it back on. That’s about it!
Things to remember
- Despite using a MoCA cable, you may lose a few abilities, such as remotely using DVR. This is a compromise you will have to make
- If you are facing any technical issues during the process, feel free to call Verizon customer support. They are quite helpful. But be sure that you are polite and nice. They don’t really need to assist you in switching routers, but they do. The least we can do is be polite during our conversation and thank them.
- While choosing a router, make performance your top-priority. It should be able to support the speed Verizon FiOS offers. There are many options on the market that will satisfy this requirement. You just have to look!
In theory, the process of using your own router with FiOS may seem tedious and time-consuming, but in practice, it is easy. It won’t take you a long time to set it up as long as you follow the steps carefully.
Do you have any doubts or questions? Feel free to talk to us! You can comment or write to us, and we will be happy to assist.