A broken appliance can be devastating to one’s business, and also severely affect one’s home life. Eating takeout or ordering delivery and taking clothes to a laundromat daily is both inconvenient and costly. Luckily, appliance repair is increasingly becoming more affordable than ever in Canada. Prices are reasonable and many businesses now offer free consultations. Do not hesitate to call one today.
Types of Appliance Repairs
Appliance repair can be divided into 2 main categories, namely home and commercial appliances.
- Home Appliances – Home appliance repair consists of services to fix refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, and more in one’s residence. Many companies also offer small appliance repair, such as microwaves.
- Commercial Appliances – This category includes appliances needed for one’s commercial business. Examples include washing machines and dryers for drycleaners and hotels, and refrigerators, stoves, and freezers for restaurants.
These can further be broken down into 3 categories.
- Kitchen Appliances – The main appliances in a kitchen include the range, dishwasher, trash compactor, freezer, refrigerator, microwave, oven, cooktop, grill, and range hood, among others.
- Laundry Appliances – Laundry appliances can include washer and dryer.
- Total Home Appliances – Total home appliances include air conditioner, air filter, dehumidifier, and air purifier.
Average Appliance Repair Costs in Canada
Appliance repair costs depend on a variety of factors, including location of home/business, location of the appliance itself, professional reputation of provider, and the ability to easily locate parts for the appliance.
Many businesses also offer no additional charges on same day service, licensed and fully insured repair personnel, up to a 1-year warranty on all repairs, and free diagnostics. In addition, many are available 365 day per year. In addition, many offer 24-48 hour repairs.
Depending on the abovementioned factors, the following rates reveal Canada-wide averages on appliance repair.
- Refrigerators and Freezers – Both appliances often come as a combo and range from $260 to $520 CAD. The cost of replacing the evaporator fan motor is $260 to $325 CAD. The cost of repairing a compressor ranges from $25 to $260 CAD. Common issues include problems with the compressor fan, clicking noises, rattling sounds, faulty compressor, and icemaker or defroster issues. In addition, other problems include the ice maker failing to dispense, inability to defrost, cold freezer but warm refrigerator, error code on the electric panel, and broken water dispenser.
Be aware that fridges less than 55-years old and less expensive to repair.
Many appliance repair professional offer services for all types of refrigerators, but it is always best to ask about one’s particular type in advance. Some common examples include bottom mount, top mount, mini fridges, French door, counter depth, and side-by-side refrigerators.
- Washing Machines - Washing machines range from $155 to $600 CAD. Common issues include not spinning, making too much noise, knobs malfunctioning, wobbling, leaking, failing to drain, faulty drive belts, mechanical failures, standing water, and underfilling, among others.
- Dryers – Dryers appliance repair ranges from $130 to $500 CAD and common issues include problems with thermal fuses, gas valves, igniters, flame sensors, dryer belt issues, clogged vents, lack of heat, problems with thermostat, broken belts, faulty terminal block or start switch, and faulty heating coils.
- Ovens – The term oven encompasses both the oven and its cooktop and ranges from $130 to $260 CAD. Some common issues include poor heating, broken burners, bad temperature, stuck oven door, and faulty baking and broiling.
- Air Conditioners – Air conditioner repair begins at $100 CAD plus labour. Common problems include refrigerant leaks, electrical control failure, sensor problems, and drainage problems.
- Microwaves – Microwaves are approximately $90 CAD per hour, plus the cost of parts and labour.
- Dishwashers – Dishwasher appliance repair ranges from $130 to $260 CAD.
It is also important to note that despite the moderate cost of appliance repair, it is often cheaper to repair an appliance than to purchase a new one. It may be advisable to buy a new appliance only if the cost of appliance repair is 60-70% of buying a new appliance. Some considerations include the age of the appliance, the condition of the appliance, the cost of buying a new appliance, and the make and model of the appliance.
How to Choose an Appliance Repair Professional
One of the easiest ways to research the reputation of the appliance repair specialist is to access the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and search by company name and location. One can then read reviews of the business online.
Reading testimonials on the business website may also be quite helpful, as are Google reviews.
In addition, asking friends, family, and coworkers is one of the easiest ways to find a trusted professional.
Appliance repair, whether for home or commercial establishments, is now more affordable than ever and located in both large cities and small towns Canada-wide.