Plastic shuttering has changed the way that builders and home renovators face the labour-intensive task of laying concrete slabs. No longer is it necessary to spend hours stripping and cleaning metal screed rails ready to use again. A product by K-Form, a UK based company, is available to revolutionise the approach to such projects. Used recently by Liverpool FC during the development of their new training facility and Wrexham council’s path regeneration scheme, its versatility and ease of use could help with a variety of projects.
What is it?
K Form offers an innovative new approach to laying concrete foundation slabs using a simple click together plastic shuttering system which can effectively replace the traditional labour intensive and more costly metal screed rails. Fast being seen as the new industry standard, we take a look at how this innovative product is used.
K-Forms plastic shuttering system is manufactured wholly using recycled window frames, making it good news for the environment, stopping large numbers of them from entering landfill sites and helping contribute to your BREEAM rating.
A single user can lay hundreds of metres of screed rail in a single hour, reducing labour time, costs and heavy equipment usage. Suitable for large and small scale, domestic or commercial settings, we decided it was time to show you what is involved.
Simple steps to get the job done
- Set up your string line to mark your area
- Cut the first top strip in half, attach to the first rail and fit the joint clips
- Place spots of bedding mortar on the sub-base at intervals of 800mm to correspond with holes in the base
- Place the rail on the bed and gently tap down with a rubber mallet until the top of the wear strip is at the desired level
- Place bedding for next rail as in step 3
- Join the second rail to the first with the joint clips
- Fit the full length of the top strip across the rails. Cutting of right angles and T-junctions is simple and quickly by hand saw, using four-way angle joints. Click into place to create the exact border size required for your project with no mess or fuss
- Tap down the rail as in step 4. When you have completed your area, you simply wait for your bedding mortar to cure and you are ready to start pouring concrete
- Each 3m K-Form rail has pre-drilled 24mm holes for dowel bars which are placed securely before the concrete sets
- When your concrete has set, you can remove the top rail and seal with your choice of sealer.
The K-Form plastic shuttering stays in your project. With no need to remove you can easily begin laying adjoining slabs without the need to spend laborious hours stripping and cleaning of metal screed rails ready to use again. No longer is there a need to buy and store heavy metal screed rails or battle with wood for your project, this simple system stays in place and provides a sturdy platform, no matter the size of the job.
Already showing its worth in large scale building developments, it has been found to speed up pouring rates by 50% and is around four times quicker to install and yet still be simple enough for even the most novice amongst us to use, making it a viable alternative for small domestic projects too.
Check out our other How-to articles on Repair Daily to gain insights and answers for many other questions about repair projects and what other products could help make certain jobs much more simple.