upperfixer Home tools reviews

Electrical Safety Tips For Your Home

abc news


According to a statement released by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), fire departments in the United States responded to more around 47,000 house fires caused due to electrical failures and malfunctions. Problems in something as simple as electric stove, electric kettle or an indoor grill can cause terrible fire accidents.

More than 49 percent of the electrical fires occurring between 2005 and 2009 involved electrical distribution devices or lighting. Most of these cases resulted in deaths, injuries and property damage. Whether you have a few or loads and loads of electrical equipment in your house, the safety tips mentioned in this piece.

Plugs and Cords

Make sure you check all of the electrical cords, surge protectors, plugs, exposed wires, power cord etc to censure you steer clear from danger. It would also help if you checked the extension cords placed above the door thresholds and below the carpets.  Avoid using extension cords as permanent fixtures as it could result in safety issues. If you require more outlets, get in touch with a licensed Vancouver electrician for a safe and effective solution.

Here are some other tips concerning plugs and cords worth following:

- Closely follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer, making sure you plug your device the right way

- Putting too much load on your outlet with multiple heat-heavy or high wattage devices is a terrible idea. It is a surefire way to cause an electric fire accident in your house or office

- Once again, ensure you plug outlets properly. In case you have any trouble doing so, get in touch with a certified electrician to steer clear from trouble

- Major appliances like hot water heaters, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, dryers, washers etc should be directly plugged to wall outlets.

- Avoid using extension cords, plug strips or surge protectors

- If you have electrical appliances in your basement or other damp areas, take advantage of water resistant cords


Repair or Replace Damaged Cords for Maximum Safety

As you would expect, damaged cords can be a serious electrical safety issue for your house as they can cause electrocutions and fires within mere seconds. You must check every extension and power cord on a regular basis for signs of cracking and fraying.

If you think the cords are damaged, replace or repair them right away, as leaving them as is could lead to unfavorable circumstances. It’s also worth keeping in mind that you shouldn’t staple power cords or run them under furniture and rugs. Placing cords below rugs is a massive tripping hazard. In addition, it could cause the cords to overheat in a very short period.

Placing the cords underneath furniture is also a big no-no, as it damage the wires and crush insulation. Using extension cords regularly could mean that you do not have a sufficient amount of outlets to meet your needs. Consider acquiring the services of a qualified electrician to ensure all of the cords in your house are installed the right way.


Reduce Potential Risks by Unplugging Unused Appliances

One of the most best and straightforward tips for electrical safety is also arguably the easiest to forget. People often forget unplugging their appliance once they use it. Not only does this result in massive electricity bills, it also causes irreparable damage to your electrical appliance. The simple act of unplugging any unused appliance will protect them from problems like power surges or overheating.

If you have a habit of forgetting to unplug or switch off your electrical equipment, consider opting for smart plugs. For those who don’t know, smart plugs allow users to set schedules for every outlet, making sure you don’t have to worry about switching them off by yourself.


Clean and Secure your Unused and Used Cords to Avoid Damage

Contrary to popular belief, the rules for electrical safety are applicable to power cords when your are not using them too. Make sure you keep cords and wires away from pets and children as they could play or chew on them. Wrapping your cords around various objects is not a good idea. This is because it can cause them to stretch and overheat, resulting in damage.

Putting a cord on hot areas is also a surefire way to damage it, so it would be best to place or install them in safe and cool areas.


Final Thoughts

Keep combustible items in your house away from things like built in furnaces and portable heaters. For maximum safety, keep combustible items as far away from heating appliances as possible. It would also help if you kept portable heaters away from drapes. Placing them on stable, smooth surfaces would be a better idea to prevent electrical fire accidents.

If you want to maximize electrical safety in your house, hire a licensed Vancouver electrician to ensure they install safety switch and other similar items to keep you safe from mishaps caused by electrical appliances.







I'm so excited to tackle all my home improvement projects! From plumbing to DIY and cleaning - I'm ready to get down to work! #homerepair #homecleaning #plumbing #diy #fixerupper #realestate #renovation #interiordesign #farmhouse #diy #homedecor #hgtv #home #farmhousedecor #modernfarmhouse #farmhousestyle #fixerupperstyle #fixandflip #homerenovation #realestateinvesting #beforeandafter #homesweethome #remodel #realestateinvestor #interior #realtor #joannagaines #flippinghouses #countryliving #design #homedesign #farmhouseinspired #investmentproperty #bhghome #renovationproject #farmhousekitchen #homeimprovement #farmhouseliving #cottagestyle #decor #realestateagent #magnoliahome #homeinspo #magnoliamarket #kitchendesign #dreamhome #shiplap #construction #houseflipping #investor #farmhousedesign #architecture #farmhousechic #homereno #rusticdecor #reno #kitchenremodel #webuyhouses #magnoliatable #rentalproperty #fixerupperinspired #newhome #interiors #homeremodel